This freeware application applies various patches to other applications or to desk accessories. This approach gives more control over conflicts and memory bloat than extending application behavior by adding extensions to the system.
The patching process adds certain resources to the application. No existing resources are modified, so it is easy to remove the patches if desired. It is not compatible with PopupFuncs, since they use the same mechanism to get run-time from the system.
WARNING! Text Editor Patches should not be applied to a Carbon application. When running under Mac OS 8 or 9, it makes the application crash on Quit. And when running on Mac OS X, the patches simply don't work.
When I found that the "pairs" patch wouldn't work on Carbon applications, I wrote the AutoPairs extension.
- Make it possible to paste a picture into a SimpleText document.
- Add a windows menu to any application, even the Finder.
- Add a menu of often-used documents, such as stationery files.
- Add a simple form of word-wrapping to a text editor.
- Make the page-up and page-down keys work everywhere.
- Define keystrokes for various TeX macros (contributed by Juan L. Varona).
Last modified: 13 August 2000
Copyright ©1996, James W. Walker